Park Howell is known as The World’s Most Industrious Storyteller helping leaders of purpose-driven brands grow by as much as 600 percent. His 35 years in brand creation includes 20 years running his own ad agency Park&Co. He was named Advertising Person of the Year in 2010 by the American Advertising Federation of Metro Phoenix. The following year, his agency was recognized among the Top 10 Impact Companies in Arizona by the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce.
Park is the founder of the Business of Story, a proven platform based on his 10-step Story Cycle
System to clarify your story, amplify your impact and simplify your life. His popular weekly Business of Story podcast is ranked among the top 10 percent of the most downloaded podcasts in the world.
His book, Brand Bewitchery: How to Wield the Story Cycle System to Craft Spellbinding Stories for Your Brand, helps readers clarify their brand story and teaches how to tell it through three proven narrative frameworks to captivate audiences and convert customers. His new book The Narrative Gym for Business, is a short 75-page guide on how to use the ABT (And, But, Therefore) foundational narrative framework to make all of your business communications compelling.
Park consults, teaches, coaches and speaks internationally. He has guided hundreds of brands and grown thousands of leaders and their people in such organizations as Dell, Hilton, Cummins, Walgreens, Banner Health and the United States Air Force.
He is a graduate of Washington State University and combines his degrees in communications and music composition and theory to help leaders excel through the stories they tell.
In this episode, Dean Newlund and Park Howell discuss:
- And, But, Therefore – the three forces of story
- Examples of the ABT process at work
- Moving through the “acts”
- The Psychology of ABT Communication
- The three forces of story are agreement, contradiction and consequence.
- Agreement is “and”, conflict is “but”, and “therefore” is how you will overcome your problem.
- Don’t get stuck in just one act – move through the ABT model, otherwise, it’s not going to be of any help to you or to who you’re communicating with.
- Our conscious mind is simply the PR department for our unconscious mind where all our decisions are being made. ABT communication triggers our limbic system, that’s what makes it effective.
“Most leaders communicate and care but bore. Therefore, tell a story.” — Park Howell
Click this link to access The ABT’s of Sellin short online course: https://businessofstory.thinkific.com/courses/the-abt-of-selling
You can also order Park Howell’s book, “The Narrative Gym for Business” by clicking on this link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B1WP2JX
See Dean’s TedTalk “Why Business Needs Intuition” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq9IYvgV7I
Connect with Park Howell:
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/