Joanne offers her clients all the skills and experience she gained in her 20-year career as a marketing and sales executive. She finds her bliss in helping teams and leaders grow, communicate, and achieve. She facilitates team building and communications workshops with organizations interested in developing a true competitive advantage. She also works one-on-one with leaders who communicate in a way that brings about real change. Some of her recent clients include Central Oregon Community College, Deschutes Brewery, AmeriCorps VISTA, NAVIS, HydroFlask, TEDxBend, and the Deschutes Land Trust.
Joanne graduated from UCLA with an Economics degree and began her career in residential property management. After her next stop in corporate recruiting, she went back to school, earning her MBA from UC Davis, emphasizing marketing, and market research. She then landed a position in product development at Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. She enjoyed 17 years at Schwab in a variety of positions, most recently as Chief of Staff to the President of Schwab Institutional, and as National Vice President of the Schwab Advisor Network.
In this episode, Dean Newlund and Joanne discuss:
- What you say and present and how you create a connection to it.
- Creating a captive audience and using it as a way to bring about change.
- The look and direction of public speaking in the future.
- Follow your intuition on what information needs to be presented to the audience and ways to deliver it.
- What is the goal? What is the result I want to see? Develop a plan to answer those questions.
- You cannot over-rehearse your presentation or speech. The more you practice and the more you know about the information you are presenting the more comfortable you will be.
- Be authentic and in the flow but not memorize your material verbatim.
- Tell a story that invokes intrigue within your audience.
“Get into the heads of your audience, you need to go where they are, and bring them along with you.” — Joanne Mathews
See Dean’s TedTalk “Why Business Needs Intuition” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq9IYvgV7I
Connect with Joanne Mathews:
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/
Show notes by Podcastologist: Kristen Braun
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.